Week 6
14 August 2011 – 18 August 2011


Nothing much happened this week. All schools in Kelantan had UBB3 or Ujian Berkala Berpusat 3 for all Year One – Year Five pupils. Year Six pupils had their UPSR trial exam. The examination was held in three days from Sunday, 14 August 2011 until 16 August 2011. On 17 August 2011, all Malaysian Muslims celebrated the Nuzul Qur’an day and it was the national holiday.

Initially, Shahera and me were not having any classes for the three days of the UBB3, nor invigilating any exam slots. But when we arrived in school on Sunday, the Examination Secretary, Mrs. Parah Zahani handed over the invigilating timetable to both of us and informed us to take over Ustazah Syahida’s slots to be invigilated. We decided to invigilate those slots together.

On Sunday, we invigilated the Bahasa Melayu paper for Year 1C. I could see a few Siamese pupils in the class. Since it was a Year One class, we guided them on how to answer the exam questions. Some of the pupils asked us pretty lots of questions and even the answers. Shahera and I were busy entertaining the pupils who needed our help and guidance.

There was a Siamese boy who needed every-single-step guidance. I believe he could not read well. I was hesitated whether to only focus on him or just let him to survive all by himself since it was after all an EXAMINATION. I decided to focus on all pupils, not only him. Of course I pitied him as I can see how difficult for him to even understand the instructions of the paper.

Before this, I only had experience on invigilating OUM students’ examination. When it came to school kids, it went a little havoc and chaotic. I think I need to consult with senior teachers on how to invigilate examination of these little kids. In the future, I think I will need to only pass the instructions and only entertain the candidates who have problems in understanding the instructions.

On Monday, we invigilated Year 1D for English paper. This is the first class that Shahera and I always worry to enter. With our lacking of experience of being Year One teachers, Year 1D pupils are a very enormous challenge for us, especially for me since I have no experience of being a school teacher before joining the KPLI program. We prayed very hard that the pupils will behave and understand the concept of examination.

Upon instructing them to write their names on the exam paper, we found out that almost 40% of the pupils were unable to write their own names. Therefore, we helped them out on that. At that point we knew that it was then a nightmare came true. All pupils asked us how to answer the questions. We guided them just like how we guided the Year 1C pupils the day before.

The first half an hour was calm. But later on, it went hectic and mayhem just like the usual class session. Two of us could not control them. They went out without our awareness of their disappearance. Two of the boys were even started a fight. I mean a serious fight. It happened at the back of the classroom with some other boys were supporting their fight. Worried of unfortunate things that might happen; I took action and separated both of them. I did not know what else to do and simply asked them to sit at their own places.

Thinking of this matter, I still have no solution for this kind of behaviour in pupils. I thought I have been very strict with them. But they just could not obey my instructions. When I yell or shout to them, they will be silent for a little while. Then they will create another huge turmoil in no time. I will look for advices from other colleagues and teachers, especially those who have been teaching for more than 10 years.

On Wednesday, we invigilated Year 1A for Arabic paper. I can see a huge difference between Year 1A pupils and Year 1D pupils. I have no problem in invigilating exam and even handling class with Year 1A pupils. But it is different when it comes to Year 1D. Sometimes I think I was playing war games with them. Oh dear God. Am I being biased now? Sometimes I think I am hoping for a miracle to happen for me to control hyperactive pupils.

I consulted my husband who has been a teacher for more than 20 years now. He told me that class control is the most challenging and even the most difficult part for most teachers. He has seen lots of trainees who cried and stressed out when they were unable to control their class during their practical training. As for me, I was only stressed out, but I can still control myself from tears. He said that class control takes 2 to 3 years to master, not in 3 days, 3 weeks, or 3 months. I think I will take it easy now. I will learn the tricks without rushing.

My husband has invited me to observe him in his classroom tomorrow, Friday, 19 August 2011. He said that I can see how he controls his pupils. It is because it is easy for him to just explain, but I could not see those explanations in action. By observing him, I hope I can get some ideas on class control.