Week 2
17 July 2011 – 21 July 2011


Week 2 started with wet weather. It was raining from dawn to sunrise. We started our day with the Sunday assembly. The teacher in charge of the library held a prize giving to the pupils who read the highest number of books. Other announcement included the reminder of sports training for Sunday and Monday. Pupils were also reminded of the Sukantara that would be held on Tuesday and the Sports Carnival that would be held on Wednesday. The Sukantara involved all pupils which is parallel with the government’s ambition of 1 pupil 1 sport. The events involved were 80-metre sprint, shot put, and high jump. Those who succeeded would contribute points to their sports’ team. Only one try was permitted to each pupil for each event.

As for this week, I was supposed to be given a new timetable which is permanent for my 3-month practical. Nevertheless, it would only be effective on Monday. My peer, Raba’atul Shahera and I reminded the PK 1 about our new timetables. We used our first week’s timetable for Sunday. Everything went well for my teaching and learning activities. After the final bell ring at 1.00 p.m., we looked for our timetables in the office. A teacher, Mr. Nasir gave us our new timetables. The PK 1 was attending a meeting. Then, we rushed down to Shahera’s car as we need to head to the IPG to give a copy of our timetables to our English and Science supervisors.

Both of our supervisors, Ms. Lim and Tuan Haji Haron were not around. We left our timetables on their desks and texted them to inform them about it.

As scheduled, we thought that we were going to be using our new timetables starting from Monday. But then, a minor havoc took place in the staff room when the PK 1 made an announcement for all teachers to pick up their new timetables in the office. It would be effective starting from Tuesday. When she was asked about the reasons of the new timetables, she said that it was all because of the English and Science periods that we requested for our 3-month practical training. PK 1 then told us that we could ask the teachers in the class that we were supposed to teach to hand over their class to us. Everything went well for my teaching and learning activities.

At 12.30 p.m., Shahera and I were invited to join the briefing of the Sukantara and the Sports Carnival. All teachers including the afternoon session’s teachers were invited. We were given a handout or a brochure. Shahera and I were appointed to be judges for the high jump event on Wednesday for the Sports Carnival. As for the Sukantara, we were invited to help out other teachers. The teacher involved with the high jump event asked us to help her out and we agreed.

As scheduled, Sukantara was held on Tuesday. I helped out with the high jump event while Shahera was asked to help out with the 80-metre sprint event. It was awesome. I enjoyed myself watching the kids showing their talents. The event used two metal poles and rubber bands tied together replacing the bar. The pupils must jump over the rubber bands without touching them. I could see that most of the boys succeeded and not so many girls could perform successful jumps. The Sukantara ended successfully at about 10.00 a.m. Teachers were enquired to perform classes as usual after recess.

I entered my first English class at Year 4B classroom. The surrounding was pretty havoc at that time. I believe the pupils were pretty tired with the Sukantara. I greeted the class and most of them told me that they did not bring their books. I said that it was alright as I was just planning to perform an ice-breaking session with them. I asked them to stand up, say out their names and tell me what I should call them or their short names. Most of them told me to speak in Malay because they said that they do not understand English well. I was surprised as my instruction was very simple. From that point of time, I started worrying about my class during my observation. God, help me!

The Sports Carnival was held as planned on Wednesday. Shahera and I were supposed to be judges for high jump event. Nevertheless, Shahera was asked to be the judge for the 80-metre sprint event. As for me, I continued my duty at the high jump spot. At about 9.40 a.m., I received a call from my supervisor, Ms. Lim. She reached the school and needed to see me and Shahera. I ran over to Shahera to inform her about Ms. Lim’s presence and we informed the other teachers about it.

Ms. Lim met us together with the GB, PK 1 and our mentor, Mrs. Parah Zahani. After a brief talk in the office, we moved to the Pusat Sumber as Ms. Lim needed to check our record books and portfolios. Ms. Lim and Mrs. Parah Zahani talked for a while about matters regarding the practical sessions. Then, Mrs. Parah Zahani left us as she has to continue her duty in the field. After checking everything, Ms. Lim advised us with lots of important things, corrected all our mistakes and errors found in our record books.

Then, we invited Ms. Lim to have a drink before she left. At the canteen, we met the GB and PK 1 again. I could see that all food for the teachers for lunch were ready. The GB asked us to invite Ms. Lim to have some food before she left. We took some food and invited Ms. Lim to have it. We talked about lots of things while she had her lunch. At about 12.30 p.m., she left us as she needed to rush back to the IPG for her 2.00 p.m. class.

We returned to the field. All major events were completed. We could only watch the event for the teachers and tug of war for the pupils. Then, we all headed to the ground floor of the new building for the prize giving session. The overall winner was the Yellow sports team. Congratulations!

On Thursday, all Year 6 pupils went for Rehat Minda session together with all Year 6 teachers. I could see lots of empty seats in the staff room. I was given a relief class for Year 1A after recess at 10.10 a.m. I handled a fun English learning session with the pupils. They were all very excited with it. I satisfied with their participation and enthusiasm. No intention of being biased, but I could see a big difference of Year 1A and Year 1D. Sometimes I thought that if the girls dominated the class, classroom control would be much easier. Year 1D has majority boys and Year 1A has majority girls. Or perhaps I need more time to learn about classroom control.